Long Term Visits (usually up to three months duration)
- postgraduate student or early career researcher (on a non-continuing appointment) currently studying/working in Australia in the area of nanotechnology
- Early Career Researchers from Industry are also eligible
- member of ANN
- documented support from Supervisor and collaborating researcher
- Special Circumstance limits
- Cases of hardship and exceptional circumstances will be considered by the ANN Management Committee for possible funding outside the guidelines. Applicants need to make a convincing case of their special circumstances/hardship requiring special consideration.
Conditions of Funding
- up to $2,000/month for a maximum of three months for travel and accommodation to a location(s) within Australia (in exceptional circumstances, visits up to six months will be considered with funding usually capped at a total of $6,000, however a strong case would need to be made by the applicant)
- no more than one Long Term Visit grant per person per year, but the grant may cover multiple visits (with justification) to a collaborating institution(s)/industry to support on-going projects preferred that funding support has already been gained from other sources, eg. home university/industry; applicants are also encouraged to use success in gaining ANN funding to leverage other funding sources as appropriate
- must acknowledge funding support from ANN and DIISR in publications that result from the Long Term Visit
- must provide ANN with a written report of the outcomes of the Long Term Visit within two months of completion
Payment of funding support will be made as a reimbursement to the Institution/Industry that incurs the initial costs. The institution/industry is requested to issue a tax invoice to The Australian National University, attach copies of the original invoices/documentation of costs incurred, and send to ANN.
More details on these requirements will be sent to applicants when they are notified of their successful application.
Guidelines for Funding
In order for a Long Term Visit grant to be approved the application must satisfy the listed criteria. Additionally, where it is necessary to rank applications, because the requested funds exceed those available, this ranking will be done on the basis of which applications best satisfy the listed criteria. There is no appeals process. The decisions made by the ANN management committee, informed by the recommendation of the ANN Visits Working Group will be final.
The ANN Visits Working Group may elect to interview applicants as part of the evaluation process.
Selection Criteria that will be used to evaluate applications
- Relevance and benefit of the research in the broader context (potential applications of this research)
- Identify the nanotechnology aspects of the research
- Benefit to the applicant in terms of career development
- Benefit to the applicant in terms of skills development
- Potential for transfer of knowledge from applicant to collaborating researchers
- Plan to publish and/or present the results of the research in journals and conferences (to be specified); priority is achieved by impact factors and standing of the forms of communication
- Demonstrated potential/excellence of applicant in field - priority given to applicants with highest merit/relevance
- Funding support already gained from other sources
- Demonstrated support and involvement of collaborating researcher and lab/industry
- Other activities that may also be undertaken during visit, eg. giving a seminar or short course