Name of Group Leader:Dr. Cordelia Selomulya, Dr. Karen Hapgood
Physical Address:Department of Chemical Engineering
Clayton Campus, Wellington Road
Phone:+61 3 99053436
Fax:+61 3 99055686
Nanotechnology Research Programs/Activities:• Synthesis and applications of nanoparticles and nanomaterials, including functionalizing magnetic nanoparticles for protein separation and enzyme immobilization, synthesizing nanostructured materials for catalytic processes in energy conversion
• Particulate aggregation to understand the mechanisms of aggregate formation, hydrodynamic behaviour, micro-properties, and implications to macro-properties, e.g. dewatering behaviour, sediment compaction, selective precipitation, sludge densification
• Aggregate characterization, using different tools including light scattering/obscuration methods, image analysis, tomography. Applications on water treatments, mechanical bioseparation, and formulation/use of personal care products.
• Simulation and modeling by integration of 3D imaging and modeling tools to predict system performance from micro-properties.
• Granulation and agglomeration processes, especially wet granulation processes used in the pharmaceutical, food, fertilizer and minerals industries.
• Role of liquid binder distribution in wet granulation processes.
• Novel granulation approaches: granulation of hydrophobic powders, understanding foam granulation
• Dry granulation (roller compaction) processes: effect of roll force on tensile strength of ribbons and tablets
• Role of shear in agglomeration: measurement of shear in-situ in industrial granulators, role of shear in dispersion of agglomerates (dry systems)
• Pharmaceutical technology: Understanding drug and excipient distribution in pharmaceutical systems, drug delivery via inhaled particulates
Nanotechnology research facilities:http://www.eng.monash.edu.au/chemeng/research/facilities.html
- Mrs. Aswan Al-Abboodi
- Miss Ria Amelia
- Mr. Jalal Azadmanjiri
- Dr Mohammad Reza Barati
- Mr. Amlan Chakraborty
- Dr Karen Hapgood
- Mrs. Fatin Muhammed Nawwab AL-Deen
- Dr Cordelia Selomulya
- Mr Lachlan Smillie
- Mr Winston Duo Wu